Friday, January 9, 2009

Builders vs. Wreckers

A little poem I heard from John Bytheway on a BYU fireside (on BYUTV) today. Makes me stop and go "hmmmmm....." I might have another resolution to add to my growing list.....
Builders vs. Wreckers

I passed one day through a lonely town
And saw men tearing a building down.
With a ho-heave-ho and a husky yell
They swung at a beam and a side wall fell.

I asked the foreman, “Are these men skilled-
The kind you’d hire if you had to build?”
“Oh no!” he chuckled, “No indeed-
The common laborer is all I need.”
“Why I can destroy in a day or two
What builders have taken weeks to do.”

I thought to myself as I went on my way
“Which of these rolls have I tried to play?
Am I the builder who works with care
Strengthening lives by rule and square,
Shaping my peers to a well made plan-
Helping them do the best they can-
Or am I a wrecker who walks around
Content with the labor of tearing down?”

-Author Unknown

3 "my two cents...":

Natalie said...

Love that! Thanks for sharing.
Also, so glad you got your phone back. HOORAY for integrity!!

Amanda said...

did you post this for me?! LOL:) I love this---I remember when you shared it at one of our pres. meetings.

shahna said...

No Amanda, I didn't post it for you. You are so awesome, what could I possibly teach YOU! I lost my copy that I shared with you guys (at the pres. mtg.) when my computer crashed last time. Don't you hate it when that happens? Anyway, I heard it in the talk I was listening to yesterday so I jotted it down so that I could keep it forever. I guess I posted it for me more than anyone. I want to do a better job of looking for ways to lift those around me. Especially with my kids.